“We set controls for the heart of the sun, One of the ways we show our age.”
Here is something I’ve been meaning to do on Tsar for a while now and I’m glad to have finally gotten around to it. I’ve been making mixtapes for the best part of ten years now and I hope you enjoy listening to them as much as I enjoy making them. Keep your eyes peeled as I intend to upload more in the future, so watch this space.
This mixtape is intended to be listened to while driving around late at night, or maybe during a long drive home. I wanted to recreate the feel of driving in 80’s movies, because despite their cheesy quality they made driving feel really cool. So there’s a lot of synthy soundscapes in there, but there are also some quieter acoustic moments to be had as well. I originally made this mixtape for a friend as a sort of memento for those long nights we used to spend with others driving around with ‘no particular place to go’, as Chuck Berry would say. In fact, this mixtape was very nearly called Breadcrumbs in the Backseat, because whenever we’d stop off at Tescos for late night supplies he would always get baguettes which left breadcrumbs everywhere. It used to drive me insane, but I miss that stuff now. Nostalgia aside, this mix just seems more appropriate as the nights get longer and more sultry so I thought I’d share it with you folks. Relax, plug in and enjoy.
1. ‘Untitled’ – Interpol – Turn on the Bright Lights
2. ‘People Can Do the Most Amazing Things’ – Kisses – The Heart of the Night Life
3. ‘Castles in the Snow’ – Twin Shadow – Forget
4. ‘Pursuit of Happiness’ – Kid Cudi [Feat. MGMT and Ratatat] – Man on the moon: The End of Day
5. ‘Lay Your Cards Out’ – Poliça – Give You the Ghost
6. ‘Go Down Easy’ – John Martyn – Solid Air
7. ‘Daughters of the Soho Riots’ – The National – Alligator
8. ‘New York is Killing Me’ – Gil Scott-Heron – I’m New Here
9. ‘Bad Religion’ – Frank Ocean – Channel ORANGE
10. ‘Street Lights’ – Kanye West – 808’s and Heartbreak
11. ‘Under Your Spell’ – Desire – Desire II
12. ‘Your Blue Room’ – Passengers (i.e. U2 & Brian Eno) – Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1
13. ‘Tick of the Clock’ – Chromatics – Night Drive
14. ‘Kreuzberg’ – Bloc Party – A Weekend in the City
15. ‘All My Friends’ – LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver
Note: On the 8track mix, the website autofills the Solid Air original of ‘Go Down Easy’ with a godawful revisit John Martyn did later. I’ve tried editing and re-uploading the track, but to no avail. So if you’re recreating this at home (remember: safety first kids. Get an adult to help you if needed), insert the Solid Air original for track 6 and the mix should make a lot more sense.
Cover credit: Galveston by ~road2infinity